This HMS Mauritius [above] was the only British ship ever named such, even though Britain had had a 'working' relationship with the Island since 1810. She was operational from 'new build' in 1940 until 1952 winning many Battle Honours in WW2 [with a short period in the Reserve Fleet] when she paid-off and entered an eight and a half months refit destined for further operational service as the East Indies Flagship. However, after refit she was placed on the Reserve List and after seven years on that list ["rotting" after the short but expensive refit] she was placed on the Disposal List in 1960. She was finally broken-up in 1965 at Rosyth [Inverkeithing]. Not an impressive record given her clout and suitability for the duties of a Flagship [she had been the East Indies Flagship before paying off in 1952] being operational for twelve years, and non-operational for thirteen years. She was a FIJI class light cruiser with eleven ships in the class.
This story is about the second HMS Mauritius which was a shore station based on the Island of Mauritius. It was commissioned as such on the 19th March 1962 and decommissioned on the 31st March 1976, so virtually fourteen years.
HMS MAURITIUS NOW A MEMORY IN 1976.pdf